Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Work deep & travel light

It occurs to me that the employment market is one filled with lots of effort and serendipity. Sometimes these two connect, sometimes not. What I mean is the seekers out there are diligently pursuing jobs through whatever avenue they can - online listings, networking contacts, creating new opportunities, you name it. Results are not always attached to the immediate effort, thus I call this a market of serendipity. Jobs & offers appear when we least expect it. Sometimes they show up in a completely surprising way. That is why I remind myself (and others when I can) that its important to work deep and thoroughly in our efforts to find employment but its also important to be aware that our next opportunity may have nothing to do with our productive activity. Let go of control, its not possible to gain control over the results, whimsy and personalities are the final arbiters of decision. Work like mad to win the job but let go and move on when the alignment is not there. Move forward quickly & lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment